Become a CAN-BIKE Instructor
We are looking for great people who want to teach others how to ride safely. Join a fantastic team of cycling instructors in communities throughout Northeastern Ontario, including Temiskaming region, Sudbury, North Bay, and Parry Sound! With funding from Ontario 150, Share the Road is proud to offer CAN-BIKE Instructor training free of cost. The total value of these courses is $1,000/person.
Cycling instructors provide an invaluable service to Northeastern Ontario communities. They help citizens learn how to ride knowledgeably and confidently. They help make our roads safer for all users. They set the standard for cycling skill and etiquette.
Prerequisites for Instructor Workshop
- Enthusiastic about cycling
- Belief in the importance of lawful cycling
- Interested in teaching
- Willing to learn and develop teaching and cycling skills
- Committed to teaching cycling courses in your local community and/or throughout Northeastern Ontario
- A functional bike and helmet that meet legal requirements
- Must have experience with commuter/recreational cycling and/or mountain biking. If you would like to participate but do not currently ride regularly, please practice on-road and/or mountain biking before the course.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- First Aid must be obtained in order to teach. Emergency First Aid is the minimum requirement.
- A CAN-BIKE Instructor membership ($45) must be obtained following successful completion of the course.
Benefits of participating
Successful participants will become nationally-certified instructors with CAN-BIKE and will have paid opportunities to teach cycling classes.
All courses will run in Sudbury. Participants must attend all dates. Travel expenses will be covered.
CAN-BIKE Level 4 Advanced Cycling Skills (prerequisite to Instructor Workshop): Saturday September 9 and Sunday September 10, 8:30 am-4:30 pm
CAN-BIKE Level 5 (Instructor Workshop): Saturday September 23, Sunday September 24, Sunday October 1, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm